Lester Link

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Well, surgery day is fast approaching! I am so psyched to finally get to this stage! I have posted a picture of the liver b/c a lot of people have asked me where it is, what part is being resected, etc... So, I thought I would write a brief educational lesson about my surgery. Since I am having an "extended" right lobectomy they are taking a little more than half of my liver. In the picture, the "right" side is actually my right side, which in the picture it appears on the left. Basically they are cutting out everything to the "left" of that main artery that divides the liver into two lobes. I know I am boring you, just humor me! :)

Thanks for all of the prayers and support lately, we are a little nervous about such an extensive surgery. But we know everything will be great after a few months of recovery. I have included a very informative link about cholangiocarcinoma, the pictures are interactive so you can see exactly where they are cutting the tumors out. http://gastro.nts.jhu.edu/therapy_bile.cfm

I will post one last blog tomorrow before I hand over the reins to my husband and friends for a while. I will try and give the specifics as I get them, they won't give me an exact time until 3-5 tomorrow. I will post a link where you can leave email messages to us in the hospital and the volunteers will print them out and deliver them to me in my room. I will need some outside interaction while spending 7 days in the hospital! We will do our best with updates, please take it easy on Joel's cell phone for a while, he will need his rest too. I feel like we are both having surgery Thursday, he is more nervous than I am.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

We've got you on more than a few prayer lists, so we have that part covered. And don't forget to just send Joel to our house around dinner time. We're less than a mile away, and it's better than eating at the McDonald's at St. Luke's all the time.

You'll be at the best cancer center in the world, getting the best care, and you are going to beat it!!!

Let us know if you need anything else, or if Joel needs to crash at our place. He's more than welcome.

Seth

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Many prayers are being said for you, and your surgical team. I know it's going to be a great success!! I hope you're enjoying your solid lunch before the fun cleansing begins! =) Not to be outdone, I think I'll join you on the liquid diet and magnesium citrate.

Joel,

I'll even bring the meals to the island, if you just let me know where to meet you! And please don't forget that we have an air mattress. I can bring it up to the Island so you don't have to sleep on the floor.

- Sara

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelley,
I am so happy to hear that it shrank so much and that they are swiftly going to get that crap outta you!
Good luck, and enjoy the positive news! I'm sure it's gotta feel great.
Love,
Jill

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home