Lester Link

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I don't get to blog much. For those of you who know me, sometimes my "southernisms" and words that I think sound good in sentences aren't always correct. Which Kelly does not wish for either of these on her blog. But there are a lot of you who check this everyday and I thought that a little info from me might help ease your minds of the most recent events.

The cancer has spread to Kelly's abdomen. The doctor said there were several small spots. So the big question that I am sure a lot of you have is " why not take out the big tumor"? The reason why not, is b/c the cancer originated in the liver. So it takes on the same characteristics of the liver. If you remove part of the liver the body will automatically tell the liver to grow at a faster rate. Since the cancer has the same characteristics of the liver it grows at the same faster rate. Another problem is that they only saw a few spots, so we don't know if it is anywhere else.

So what's next? We have not spoken with our medical oncologist. But we are sure it will involve more chemo.

How's Kelly? She is in amazing spirits. She is the strongest woman I know and I am lucky to have someone like her. She is ready to continue the fight.

What can I do? Keep on praying and sending email to the room with kind words. Keep on fighting along side of us.

We are all disappointed that the surgery did not happen, but we are going to keep on fighting and will continue to need everyone's help to do so. We aren't done yet.

Until the next time.

Joel

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel -

Beautifully said! Don't let her tell you otherwise!

Thank you so much for the update. We are all praying for you and Kelly and can't wait for y'all to come home.

love,
Sara & Seth

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joel:
This is Kelley's cousin Machelle. I am so sorry that we didn't know about Kelley's illness until a few weeks ago when Mom went into the hospital and Karen just happened to mention it. Yall will not and have not left our prayers since we found out. I'm also sorry that we didn't get to see yall last weekend at Karen's. Kayleigh makes us keep her updated on Kelley...she has a calendar from St. Jude's and she knows about cancer, tumors, etc. a heck of a lot more than I did at her age. She's been through a lot with Steve's illness, etc. and she is such a concerned little person! She prays for yall daily! I'm sorry the surgery didn't go as expected! Remember....God has a plan and we don't know it! He has perfect timing for everything even though His timing is not our timing! We will continue to pray for yall, and our church is praying also! Never underestimate the awesome power of prayer! Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you. Please tell your folks that also since we are closer to them than you are! Whatever - whenever! We sincerely mean that! Don't give up! Give Kelley a great big 'ol hug from us, and here is one for you too....i know you need it! We'll keep in touch and I mean it....if you need anything (or Peggy and Brad) please let us know!

In Him,
Machelle, Steve, Kayleigh, Bryan and Brandie and Aunt Jo!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, I agree w/ Sara well put! You know we girls love your southernisms though, even though the do get Kelly riled up at times! Maybe thats part of the reason we like to hear them! Love you two and you know the rest...here if you need anything and prayers are still coming from me and my family. Anxious to spend time w/ Kelly tomorrow!!
Britt Elaine

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating, Joel. You and Kelly are in our constant prayers. We look every day for updates. Give Kelly a big hug and tell her we're thinking of her!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Caroline Stoufer said...

Dear Joel & Kelly-

Thinking of you and praying for us all.

I was disappointed to hear about the surgery, but I had my tumor taken out of my liver and grew back a bunch more tumors real fast so I think the doctors are right about that one.

-Caroline Stoufer
Fellow Cholangio Patient, Ouray, CO

7:24 AM  
Blogger McCrea Family said...

Kelly,
Thinking a lot about you and praying for you. I tried to call to say hello but I caught you when the nurse was coming in. Hang in there.
God bless,
Valerie

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, I have been praying for you and Kelly daily. I know God is going to truly bless you two.
Hang in there,
Jen Jo

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly and Joel,
Hang in there...we're disappointed the surgery didn't turn out as expected, however, know that you can still beat this thing. Just remember you've already shrunk the tumors back once using chemo...so you can definitely do it again.

-Hans & Nancy
(Fellow CC patient & caregiver)

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home