Lester Link

Tuesday, May 23, 2006


Here's a picture of my babies sunning on the chaise lounge. Are they spoiled or what? I felt a little better today, I had to go to the island for an appt. I had to take a 2 hour nap afterward to recover from my excursion. I have zero energy these days and I am so sick of these pesky fevers! I woke up from my nap with 99.7, which seems to be my magic number lately. I have dipped into the 100's a few times, but I am good at feeling it hit and I try to take my Tylenol immediately to keep it under control. I talked to my Physician's Assistant today and he said the pain, fatigue and low grade fever mean that my liver is growing. So, basically, being miserable is a good thing for me right now b/c it means my body is doing what it is supposed to, but it is taking every bit of reserve it can find to manage.

My surgery is 3 weeks from today, I am at the midway point between the PVE and the surgery. Steve, my P.A. says that he thinks I will feel better in a week or 2. He also clarified the misconception I had regarding my liver shrinking from the PVE. He said that the PVE just cuts off one of the 2 blood supplies to the liver and if anything the right, cancerous side of my liver will swell a little. I was under the impression the sick side would shrink due to the lack of blood and give the good side some room to grow. Turns out the good part is growing away and trying to find some room, that explains why I am so uncomfortable all the time. I cannot sit upright for too long b/c my insides feel like they are pushing up into my diaphragm, which I now know is exactly what is happening. Steve eased my mind about being off chemo for 2 months and I feel better about it. When they go in to cut out my liver, they use my original CAT scan from day one, before the chemo shrunk anything. They do this to try and get the clearest no cancer margins, so I guess all that chemo was not necessarily for my liver tumors, but to achieve a systemic effect to prevent the cancer from spreading elsewhere. The tumor shrinkage was just an added bonus, I guess! I hope I can sleep tonight after my long nap!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I should meet with Steve to get some answers! He seems to know it all! I am glad we know what is causing the pain! Pain is good...I guess!

How cute are your babies! How sweet they look while they sleep! Mine look sweet while they are asleep! I wish they really were!!

SJC

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm not a huge dog fanatic (thanks to Siggy...go ahead and giggle ET), but I have to say that is a really cute pic of your girls. Glad you got some answers today, nothing better than peace of mind when you're feeling crummy and not sure what to think about it. Keep on resting and call if you need anything. Love,
Britt

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home