Lester Link

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Well, chemo went well yesterday besides getting a late start. My appointment was for 9:30 and I didn't get called back until after 11:30. Which only happened b/c I had a few choice words with the 14 year old desk clerk. Apparently, they only had part of the labs back from my bloodwork taken earlier that morning, so they were waiting around and not telling me the problem. Well, the bloodwork I had run on Thursday is what cleared me for the chemo and my doc had already written the orders and given me the all clear for chemo. The bloodwork from Monday morning was specifically for tumor markers, that is why they only had "part" of my labs b/c that's all that was taken that day. Anyway, it's so annoying to have to stay on top of everyone all the time to get stuff done at any hospital!

Enough complaining, as you can see from my pictures, we finally scored chemo in the new building where the new breast cancer wing is. I had to go out in style after what was hopefully my last round of chemo! The room was more than double the size of the other rooms, the bed was also twice the size of the little stretchers in the other building and it was so soft and comfy, there were 2 chairs and an armoire with a TV, DVD and VHS player in it. They even had a library of DVD/VHS movies that you could rent for free while you are taking chemo. There were 2 bedside tables and a nice decorative sink and vanity, there was even a little coat closet. Joel and I couldn't believe we had missed out on the good stuff this whole time. You have to "know somebody" to get switched to the ACB building, I finally got the hookup!

Last night I played the fever game all night, I was determined to manage in the comfort of my own home and not in the ER! When I checked in for chemo, my temp was 97.8, which is my normal, I rarely hit 98. When we got home, I could feel it setting in, I hovered in the low 98's for a while, then I got up into the 99's right when I was headed to bed. I had become so weak, Joel had to follow me up the stairs b/c I could hardly get one foot in front of the other. I hit the bed around 8ish and took my Tylenol and then I spent the next 6 hours trying to get my fever down with more Tylenol and cold washrags, blankets on and off, yadda, yadda, yadda... Finally around 2ish I took an Ambien b/c I was so exhausted and I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep. That worked for about 6 hours and then I was wide awake when Joel got up for work and I am still awake, I think this is a chemo first. I don't know how I am still standing, I have had a long day! But I still feel good, not much of an appetite, I had a half of a bagel this morning and a couple of pieces of roasted turkey for dinner, how exciting! I did manage to get some enchiladas down last night at Chuy's and a bunch of that creamy jalepeno sauce love!

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Stoufer said...

Kelly -

Your blog is really helpful to me and I appreciate your updates. It's neat to get to see the pictures. I'm glad you got the luxury treatment this last time around.

And yes, I hate it when I show up for a procedure and they say, "We don't have your paperwork." It's like, "Who isn't doing their job!"
It's the last thing you need.

-Caroline in Colorado

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home