Lester Link

Monday, February 20, 2006


Joel and I had a great weekend in our log cabin in Fredericksburg, it was so nice to get out of the city for a while. Of course, Tuesday, it was 80 degrees in the Hill Country and by Friday they were in the mid 20's and they had an ice storm while we were there. It didn't slow us down too much, it's just our luck. Also, turns out log cabins are not insulated, so we built a real fire and tried not to freeze our kiesters off!(kiester works as German for behind, right?)
We visited a local winery, lavender farm, James Avery in Kerrville and we consumed more German food than was thought to be humanly possible. We did awake Sunday morning to find all the news channels advising that nobody hits the roads unless they absolutely have to. All the bridges and overpasses were iced over and there were wrecks and pile-ups all along our route home. So we waited until one-ish when the temperature just barely crept above freezing and we headed home without incident. A lot of the trees along the way were still frozen, it was pretty to see all the hilltops iced over.


On to the cancer update... I did fine in chemo #4 today, I had a really nice nurse and that makes all the difference in the world. His name was Loven, so I told him I was Loven chemo today b/c of him! Got there at 8:30 and left at 4:30, you would think 8 hours on an island would be much relief after returning from 2 days in an ice storm, hmmm, not so much! Now that they have my cocktail mix perfected, I hope the rest of these chemo infusions remain to be drama free. Now I just need the cold weather to get out of here, I can't touch any doorknobs without screaming in pain. Cold and my Oxaliplatin chemo do not mix well, I can't even do room temp drinking water b/c room temp is still too cold! My oncologist has prescribed me steroids to try and prevent me from hitting the giant wall that haunts me the second day after chemo. I get steroids in my infusion but once they wear off I crash and burn. I have no energy, I get so nauseous I can't eat anything and I just mope around for a solid week. I am to start the steroids day 2 after the infusion, so I hope they help.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you guys had such a nice trip, the pics look great. Definately a good thing you held off chemo last Thurs otherwise you would have been sitting on that fire to avoid all that cold air on your chemo-heightened tactile system. 8:30-4:30....that's a new record for shortest time on the Island huh? Glad it was another drama-free chemo. Stay warm and good luck avoiding that dang brick wall! Call if you need anything!
Britt

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home