Lester Link

Thursday, January 12, 2006

I felt pretty good today, just really tired. Same old story.

We did get a huge piece of good news today! I have been struggling to get all of my medical bills in order by matching up the statements from the insurance company to the corresponding bills from Mem. City Hospital, Radiology companies, Pathologists, MD Anderson, etc... While I was matching up my insurance backup to my $25,000 bill from my week in the hospital over Thanksgiving, I noticed that I hit my breakpoint for the year and my policy began to pay at 100% instead of 90%! It happened on November 22nd, so half of my hospital stay is paid in full and hopefully everything was approved that we had done through the end of the year, including the $35,000 from MDACC should be paid at 100%!!!! That is the best news we have had in a while! Of course, none of the statements my ins. company sent me were correct after the 22nd, how convenient for them to "accidentally" not bump me up to 100% and just see if I happened to catch it. So, I had a long chat with them on the phone and I literally sent back about 30 claims that they have to re-issue at 100% and then send corrected copies to all of the providers that are harrassing me for payment! This will help us tremendously, I had soooo many tests run at Mem. City and then a million more at MDACC. The timing could not have been more perfect. Somebody up there is pulling for us!

This reverts back to my New Year's preachy post about being your own advocate regarding your health, I am now adding health insurance to my rant! Nobody is going to come right out and tell you they owe you money, it is your responsibility to prevent them from taking advantage of you during difficult times where you may not be operating at 100%.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give 'em hell Kelly!!!! Make 'em pay!!!!

And if they don't, I know a good lawyer who will make them wish they had paid in the first place!!

:-P
Seth

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home