Lester Link

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Met with my oncologist again and he went over my chemotherapy plan. 21 day cycle, the type of chemo he wants to use is used primarily in colon cancer patients but it has proven to work extremely well on my type of cancer and it has less side effects. Less naseau and only a small percent of just hair thinning, not hair loss. I may be a candidate for a study in which my oral chemo pills would be free as part of the study. I have to have a PICC line (central line) put in to administer the chemo.

The 21 day cycle consists of I.V. chemo for 2 hours on day one, then 14 days of oral chemo pill 2xday, then 7 days off. Then the cycle begins again with I.V. on day one and so forth. They will re-run my CAT after 2-3 cycles to chart the progress of the chemo. If I am not responding properly, then they will switch to a different type of chemo. If I do respond favorably, I may be a surgical candidate where they would just cut out the tumors from my liver. They will only perform the surgery if the tumors have shrunk significantly from the chemo treatment.

Oh, did I mention he wants to begin Thursday, the 15th? A lot of information for one day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home